Advice on staying warm and healthy during cold weather!
- Vaccinations – not only annual flu jab but consider pneumococcal vaccination (talk with your primary care provider).
- Protect against germs – avoid picking up and spreading germs by practicing good frequent hand washing.
- Keep active – try to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Eat well and drink plenty of fluids – water and hot fluids will help keep your energy up and stay warm.
- Wear the right clothing – dress in multiple thin layers retain more body heat than one thick layer. Wear slippers and shoes, especially ones with good grips. Outside, don’t forget hat and gloves.
- Heat your home effectively and safely – block drafts to keep rooms warm
- Consider taking a Vitamin D supplement – between October and March we need to get Vitamin D from our diet, rather than the sun.
- Keep an eye on the weather forecasts through TV, radio or internet, or paper.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help by contacting friends, relatives, or neighbors.
Have a safe and blessed Christmas! Sarah, Parish Nurse.